We already know that I love to fancy up my grilled cheese. It’s just so much more delicious to add a few complimentary flavours to an already-amazing combo — bread + cheese = heaven!
But what happens when you combine fresh mozzarella, spinach, avocados, and sundried tomato pesto? It’s a happy tastebud explosion!
I’ve realized recently that I like using olive oil when I’m grilling my sandwiches. The oil is healthier than butter or margarine, it’s vegan, and it gives the bread a pleasant crunch without making the sandwich overly greasy. I definitely recommend giving it a try.
Fresh Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
for one sandwich
2 slices grainy whole wheat bread
4-5 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
1 small bunch baby spinach leaves
1 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
1. Place a small amount of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and allow it to warm up.
2. Spread the sundried tomato pesto evenly over both sides of the bread.
3. Wash the spinach and pat it dry with a paper towel.
4. To slice your avocado, first cut your avocado in half, then gently twist the halves apart. Slice one half of the avocado into 1/2 inch slices lengthwise, then peel each slice off the avocado’s skin.
5. Arrange the sliced mozzarella over one side of the bread. Top it with the avocado slices, followed by the baby spinach, then place the other piece of bread on the spinach. The bulky spinach will wilt once it’s over the heat, so don’t worry about your sandwich being too bulky.
6. Grill each side of the sandwich for 5-10 minutes, depending on how toasty you like your bread. Make sure you keep an eye on it, as the pan may be quite hot.
7. Once it’s ready, slice your sandwich in half and enjoy!