I have been getting into grilled sandwiches a lot lately. Think gourmet grilled cheese, but not necessarily with cheese, and filled with lots of veggies and other delicious things. The possibilities when you’re making sandwiches are pretty much endless, but it’s easy to fall into old routines and get bored quickly, which is why I think grilling your sandwiches adds a new and exciting dimension to the whole process!
This particular grilled creation is packed with healthy spinach, avocado, and homemade hummus, with a touch of sundried tomato pesto for extra flavour. I try to stick to whole grain breads as much as I can, to ensure I’m getting healthy fibre and keeping my refined flour intake low. Plus, the texture of grainy bread goes so nicely with the smooth avocado and hummus.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can substitute a different type of bean dip (white bean dip is an awesome sandwich filling!) and totally different veggies, depending on what’s in your fridge and what suits your fancy at the moment. It’s an awesome vegan/vegetarian lunch option for any time of year.
I would love to throw a lunch or dinner party someday with a huge array of breads and fillings, where everyone could build their own sandwich and then have it grilled. Don’t you think that would be fun?!
Grilled Hummus Sandwich
for one sandwich
2 slices whole grain bread
1 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
1 small bunch fresh baby spinach leaves
3-4 tbsp hummus
1. Place a small bit of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and allow it to warm up.
2. Spread sundried tomato pesto over one slice of bread and a generous helping of hummus on the other side.
3. Wash the spinach and pat it dry with a paper towel. Arrange it over the hummus. It will look like there is too much spinach on your bread, but don’t worry, it will wilt and lose its volume over the heat.
4. Cut your avocado in half, then gently twist the halves apart. Slice one half of the avocado into 1/2 inch slices lengthwise. Peel them from the skin and arrange over the sundried tomato pesto.
5. Put your sandwich together by tipping the avocado-topped bread onto the spinach-topped bread (you can hold the spinach side at a bit of an angle to help the process).
6. Grill each side of the sandwich for 5-10 minutes, depending on how toasty you like your bread. Slice in half and enjoy!