I have been eating lots of quinoa lately! It is a delicious, healthy whole grain, and apparently I can’t get enough of it.
I made this crunchy and colourful salad about 10 days ago and ate it every day for an entire week. There was so much of it! However, it did ensure that I was getting lots of veggies in every day. As a rule, I try to have a lot of variety in my diet. So, even though I ate the salad daily, I was still getting 6-7 different types of vegetables into my body in one sitting. That’s the kind of recipe I like!
You can use any vegetable you enjoy in your version of this salad. The few guidelines I have for you are:
- Keep all your veggies raw and crunchy!
- The more colours on your plate, the better. Different coloured vegetables have different types of nutrients and vitamins in them. Bright orange and deep green vegetables are supposed to be the healthiest.
- Aim for 5-8 types of veggies. It makes every bite of your salad different!
- Consider adding a fruit to the salad for a hint of natural sweetness. I love slicing a fresh, juicy orange into my salad. Try to choose something that will go well with your dressing.
- Keep your salad dairy free and vegan by omitting the cheese.
This salad can be eaten on its own or as a side dish. Either way, it’s a definite winner in my kitchen!
Fresh Vegetable and Quinoa Salad
1 cup quinoa
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 medium bunch green beans
1 head broccoli
fresh goat feta
a few spoonfuls (or cubes!) walnut basil pesto or sundried tomato pesto (I used walnut pesto for this and it was amazing)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the quinoa and reduce the heat to medium low. If you wish to cook the quinoa in vegetable broth for extra flavour, do so. Once the quinoa is cooked, about 20 minutes, drain any additional water and allow the grains to cool to room temperature.
2. Wash all of your vegetables. Peel your carrots. Cut all veggies into 1-inch pieces.
3. Cut your fresh feta into small cubes, about 1/4-inch. The feta has a strong flavour so you don’t need very much.
4. Combine all of your ingredients in a large bowl and mix. Add the pesto and stir to coat the grains. Season with salt and pepper as needed and enjoy!