Pasta meals are a great way to hit every food group while keeping your meal simple and quick. This particular dish combines whole wheat pasta with chicken, spinach, tomato sauce, and cheese, and is hearty and filling. A hint of basil pesto adds extra dimension and flavour to the sauce.
I put the water on to boil and start cooking the chicken at the same time. By the time the pasta is cooking, the chicken is in the sauce and everything is ready all at once. The whole enterprise takes 20 minutes from beginning to end!
Chicken Pesto Pasta
for one person
2-3 strips of stir fry chicken strips, cut into small bite-sized chunks
1 portion of whole wheat pasta (spaghetti or otherwise)
1 large bunch spinach or other greens
1/4 jar of tomato sauce, or 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp basil pesto
grated cheese of your choice
salt and pepper to taste
1. Put a large pot of water on to boil. Once the water is boiling, cook the pasta according to package directions.
2. While the water is heating, in a frying pan, heat a small amount of olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken and stir to coat with oil. Allow the chicken to cook, stirring often.
3. Once the chicken is browned on all sides, reduce the heat to medium-low and add the tomato sauce and basil pesto. Stir to combine the ingredients and allow the mixture to simmer, uncovered, while the pasta is cooking.
4. About 2-3 minutes before the pasta is done, add the spinach to the sauce and stir.
5. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Coat the pasta evenly with sauce and serve immediately, topped with grated cheese and salt and pepper, as desired.