Tiiiiis the season to bake cookies, fa la la la laaaaaa la la la LA!
Gingerbread makes me feel like Christmas has truly arrived. I’m a huge sucker for gingerbread cake (it was my birthday cake this year!) but I don’t think anything beats a nice, warm, crispy and chewy gingerbread cookie with a mug of tea.
I threw these cookies hastily together a few weeks ago when winter set in and I wanted something to warm up my soul and cheer me up. I didn’t have molasses or eggs so I modified a basic recipe using honey and a few extra tablespoons of water to get the dough to the right consistency.
The cookies turned out soft all the way down to an extra-crispy bottom — an effect I achieved completely accidentally by setting my oven to a higher temperature than necessary, and then adjusting the heat halfway through the baking… oops! The cookies are nicely spiced and just the right size for you to be able to justify having two (or three…) in one sitting.
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tbsp honey
1 1/2 to 2 tbsp ground ginger (depending on how spicy you want your cookies)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 to 3 tbsp water, as needed
1. Preheat your oven to 350º. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a microwave-proof dish, melt the butter. Mix the melted butter and brown sugar together into a uniform paste. Add the honey and mix thoroughly again. Add 1 tbsp of water to make the mixture a bit more malleable.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the spices, flour, salt, and baking soda and mix thoroughly. Add the flour to the sugar mixture and knead until a dough forms. Add 1 tbsp of lukewarm water to the mixture at a time until the dough holds together without falling apart.
4. Roll the cookie dough into 1 inch balls and place them 1 to 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Flatten the cookies slightly with the palm of your hand.
5. Bake the cookies for 8 to 12 minutes, until the edges are crisped and the dough is cooked almost fully through. Transfer the cookies onto a cooling rack immediately upon taking them out of the oven. Makes approximately 16 to 18 cookies.