I’ve discovered a new baking trick that allows me to bake even when I’m out of eggs. It’s brilliant! It makes my baked goods light and fluffy, and binds everything together so that you never miss the egg.
The trick? Dissolving your baking soda in a few tablespoons of boiling water, and adding it to your dough last. The soda makes the mixture puff up and bond, and makes for wonderfully puffed up goodies!
I made this cornbread with real corn kernels this time, since I had some from my CSA this week… Just one more week to go and then I’ll be back to store bought produce 😦
But I digress. The cornbread turned out incredibly well! The bits of corn give the bread a really nice texture, and with some fresh parsley and a few extra herbs and spices, you’ve got yourself a winner. I might like it more than this version.
Cornbread, Take 2
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup brown or white sugar
2 ears corn or 1 cup frozen corn
small bunch parsley
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup yoghurt
1 tbsp baking soda
1/4 cup boiling water
1. Preheat your oven to 350º. Grease and flour a square pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine the baking soda and 3 tbsp boiling water. The mixture will fizz a bit. Make sure to stir the soda in until it is fully dissolved. Set aside.
3. Combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, salt, allspice, chili flakes, ground pepper, and baking powder in a bowl. Stir with a fork until well mixed.
4. Melt the butter in a microwave proof dish. Add 3 tbsp of boiling water and the yoghurt, and whisk until the mixture is homogenous.
5. Add the yoghurt mixture to the dry ingredients and stir. Then add the corn kernels and parsley. Continue to mix until the batter starts to become a uniform texture.
6. Finally, stir the baking soda mixture into the dough. The dough should rise and become stickier, without losing its overall consistency. Mix thoroughly, then pour into the prepared dish.
7. Bake for between 30 and 45 minutes, until a knife or toothpick inserted into the centre comes clean and the top is golden. Eat hot!