Back in early September, my friend Annemarie turned 22. To celebrate, I had her over for lunch and made her this chicken with grilled zucchini, lemon mint couscous, and these delicious grilled tomatoes. There’s something about roasting or grilling tomatoes that brings out their tangy sweet flavour, and I thought it would go well with the rest of the hot meal.
For some reason, I was set on “stuffing” the tomatoes in some way, but I didn’t want to take away from their natural taste or their nutritional value. I ended up mixing the chopped up tomato pulp with a bit of grainy dijon mustard, some olive oil, and dried sage, then refilled the tomatoes with the mixture. It was a winning combination — Annemarie and I both used the mustard-tomato juice as an extra sauce for the couscous, and I finished the meal wishing I’d made more! I particularly liked how the dijon didn’t overpower the tomatoes’ flavour, and I am seriously dreaming of making these again.
These are quick and easy to make, and you can pop them into your oven with other dishes to cook: I cooked the chicken on the middle oven rack and these tomatoes with the zucchini on the bottom-most rack, so everything was done at the same time. An efficient kitchen at its best!
Dijon Grilled Tomatoes
for two tomatoes
1 tbsp grainy dijon mustard
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 350º.
2. Wash your tomatoes and cut them in half so that the top and bottom of your tomatoes become separate halves (not “left” and “right” halves, if that makes sense at all).
3. Remove the insides of the tomato using a serrated knife, careful not to cut through to its outer layer. Chop up the pulp and place it in a bowl.
4. Add the dried sage, grainy dijon, olive oil, and a bit of salt and pepper to the bowl and mix everything well. Then, spoon the filling back into the tomato halves until it reaches the brim of the tomato bowls.
5. Place on a baking sheet or in a shallow baking dish and bake for 25 minutes. Top with more fresh black pepper and serve immediately.