Grilled cheese is so good. Seriously — there are very few situations in which I would refuse a grilled cheese sandwich, I am kind of obsessed.
But, unsurprisingly, I am always looking for ways to make my grilled cheese sandwich better. More interesting. More delicious!
This is my go-to “fancy grilled cheese” recipe. I usually have all the ingredients I need for it in my fridge, and it takes barely no extra time to put everything together. By the time your pan is hot enough, your sandwich is ready to go too!
The additional toppings are meant to enhance the flavour of the cheese, as opposed to overpowering it. If you’re looking for a way to shake things up in the kitchen, try this next time you’re in a hurry for a scrumptious quick meal!
Gourmet Grilled Cheese
2 slices multigrain bread
small pat of butter or margarine
1 tsp basil pesto
1 tsp grainy dijon mustard
3-4 cherry tomatoes
cheese of your choice
1. Place a small frying pan on medium-low heat.
2. Butter one side of each bread slice. Flip them over and spread the pesto over one half and the dijon over the other.
3. Sprinkle half of your cheese on one side of the bread. Top with thinly sliced cherry tomatoes and the other half of your cheese. Cover with the second slice of bread.
4. Allow the grilled cheese to fry for approximately 5 minutes on each side. I like to press a small plate down on the bread to make it thinner. This also helps seal the cheese and tomatoes within the sandwich. If you do this, be careful when lifting the plate to flip the sandwich, as it will be hot. Press the plate down on both sides of the sandwich for optimal results.
5. When the bread is golden brown on both sides, peel the bread apart on one corner to check that the cheese has melted sufficiently. If it’s looking good, serve it up! If the cheese needs more time, reduce the heat to allow the cheese to keep melting without burning the bread.
6. Eat it while it’s hot! Yum…